How much firewood will I need for a typical winter?
A tricky question to answer as it will depend on so many factors:
- The efficiency of your stove
- The size of your property
- How well insulated your property is.
- How often you use the stove
- How cold it is
- How you use your stove – burning on full airflow all the time or on low heat.
However, this is a common question we get asked so to give you some idea. Assuming you are using the most efficient fuel – kiln dried, then in an average year you are likely to use 3-4 cubic metres of firewood. Remember that you will use significantly more wood if it is not dry because it provides far less heat energy therefore you need a lot more wood - upto twice as much