What have we done to reduce plastic usage?
|In 2020, we stopped using the plastic wrap around our kindling boxes and discarded the plastic handle. The new box that has a lid that closes over the box to avoid water ingress. This new packaging is now wax coated which provides an element of water resistance.|
|We have changed the plastic windows on the Flamers box. They are now made from corn starch.|
|We have reduced the thickness of the pallet wrap we use, so a roll will only have 1.55kg of plastic rather than 2.35kg.|
|We have reduced the thickness of the plastic in our small log bags down from 110 microns to 90 microns – That’s nearly 20% less plastic. These bags along with our bulk bags are also now made from a minimum of 30% recycled material in line with new government regulations.|
|We have also added a range of new log packs which are ‘plastic free’ and packed in cardboard boxes.|
Why is planting trees so important?
At Certainly Wood we are passionate about creating new woodland within the UK and we have been involved in tree planting for many years. Here are just a few reasons why tree planting is so important:
- Trees clean our air by releasing oxygen and storing carbon via CO2 absorption
- Provide beautiful landscapes
- Improve community life and mental health
- Improve the environmental balance with a greater range of flora and fauna
- Provide a sustainable source of fuel
- They help provide a natural form of flood management and help to improve our water quality
You can find out more here
How can you shop sustainably with Certainly Wood?
Caring for our planet is something we all have a responsibility to do, and there are several things you can do when shopping with us to do your bit.
- Plant a Tree: Tree planting has always been one of our passions, and we are committed to only using 100% British hardwood thinnings from sustainably managed sites for firewood. Why not help us plant more and add a Plant a Tree to your basket at checkout?
- Recycle your Bulk Bag: With every bulk order you place with us, you will receive a small grey mailing bag to make it easy to return your bulk bag to us, free of charge. This means we can re-use them for future deliveries.
- Order in Bulk: By ordering in bulk, you can help us reduce the number of deliveries we make, meaning less CO2 emissions. So if you have the storage, why not consider one of our larger pallet options, or try out one of our bulk bags instead?
What makes us a sustainable business?
- Introduced more plastic free products like logs in boxes
- Replacing plastic window in Flamers box with corn starch
- Recycle your Bulk Bag Scheme - we encourage customer to send their bulk bugs back to us free of charge so they can be re-used
- We never clear-fell woodland; we only take woodland thinnings to produce our firewood
- Reducing our fuel consumption by sourcing our firewood within a 100-mile radius
- Our kilns now run on wood waste and wood chip, not oil which is what we started with
- Solar Project – we now have 240kw of solar panels
- Introduction of wood waste shredding machine which allows us to use all our wood waste in the boilers that fire the kilns
- We have purchased a new cardboard shredder that allows us to use the cardboard waste as box fillers for sending smaller parcels to customers
- The sawdust from our firewood processor is taken to a local farmer who uses it as cattle bedding